2.11.07

Unpremeditated Poop Explosions


Last week I sent in my resume to work at a church. I was quite confident after 2 weeks in the forest with Z that I was the bestest in the whole world, that any church would be insane not to accept me immediately, that I had a fresh voice that the churches of this spiritually crusty country needed.

The rejection letter was short and concise. I had not managed to woo them with my almost complete degree from a prestigious university, with my life-threatening missionary endeavors in Nepal, or with my dapper good looks and charming wit. I had not even been judged worthy enough to be asked for an interview.

Having recently read a book about discrimination and cultural racisms in Sweden, I was suspicious that I had been judged in advance, that they had not seen past the challenges of a new person who doesn’t know anything to the gifts I had to offer. Everything I read really was true. Immigrants in Sweden can only get jobs as mechanics, hotel cleaners and kebab pizza makers. Nobody with a strange sounding name or imperfect Swedish is given a second chance. Secondly, I was convinced that they had failed to acknowledge my years of impressive ministry experience because almost all the work I have done was volunteer. I was falling prey to evil bureaucratic ideals - unable to get paid positions and experience unless I had had paid positions and experience which I couldn’t get because you have to have paid positions and experiences for that.

After getting through the poor-me and righteous anger phases of the experience, I reached the decision that it was time for me to stand up for all the little people of the world. I wasn’t going to take it. I was not going to keep letting myself get walked over because I lack the courage to say what I really think or what I really feel. I was going to break that curse from my life. I wrote a beautiful letter of challenge and encouragement which put a couple clever barbs in a wash of Christian love, good will and mature parley. How much I was going to grow from facing this experience head-on with truth in love, grace in the face of opposition, and maturity in the face of hidden structural malaise. However, M suggested I not send it until I had a chance to let it rest some more.

I am rather glad I followed his advice, for later that day I discovered that I hadn’t really sent that church my real resume. I had attached the wrong file to the e-mail and what they had actually received from me was a bunch of badly spelled early resume-stage brainstorming in a mix of bad English and worse Swedish.

The moral of the story?
I think I need to get out more (once I can show my face again)

Hopefully I can show my face and get a job before we run out of money. I think I could make a pretty good kebab pizza...

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh, roommate...that's degraditated. My stomach turned just thinking how it must have felt to make that discovery. Maybe you should move to Scotland until this blows over and everyone in Sweden is too old to remember. :)