23.12.08

Julbord, Lucia, and the Sin of Pride





I was going to wait to post my Julbord pictures until I had labeled them all, but I have better things to do than label various miscellaneous items of Swedish Smörgåsbordism. It is customary to go out for a traditional Christmas table with your co-workers in Sweden. Since I finally have co-workers, I was, for the first time, a privileged participant in Ansgars church Julbord (Christmas table). Since then, everybody keeps asking me what I think about Swedish Julbords. I say the same thing every time and it seems to work pretty good. There is an appalling proliferation of meat meat meat and an appalling non-proliferation of anything green or vegetarian. Strangely enough, Swedish people all seem to think this is totally normal and don't understand my chock. They could at least make that green-bean, mushroom soup casserole with the dried onion crunchies on top. There were some boiled potatoes, parsley garnishes, and a few brussel sprouts, but nobody really eats these. It it all about the meat - raw, smoked roasted, fried, sausaged, pressed, casseroled, marinated, squished, spiced, rolled, stuffed - meat (oh, and then lots of candies and desserts).










Notice the 28-point Moravian star with beaded points hanging above the nativity scene and Lucia choir at church this year? Yes, I did make that star out of paper and glue. I am quite proud that my handiwork is hanging in front of the sanctuary at church, but this pride has been quite a burden to my conscience and social propriety. Any time I am in the sanctuary with other people, I am prone to involuntary outbursts - I try to suppress them, but they just blurt out, somewhat akin to a turrets tic - "I made that star myself!" It is unlike the stars one can get here, so it merits me much acclaim when people know I did it. I was quite relieved when I overheard Daniel telling people that I had made it. Then I could get all of the acclaim without having to suffer these involuntary bragging spasms. But now people keep coming up to me and asking if the rumors they heard were true and if I really did make it and the whole thing has just gotten embarrassing. I want to to be noticed and praised, but receiving it is awkward and I feel guilty for my attention grabbing and pride. And here I go posting the pictures on my blog, only confounding the problem. But I just can't resist!









I know, lets distract me from my glory and degradation by enjoying my beautiful children from the daycare singing at their Lucia concert (but don't forget to notice the star... DANGIT there I go again!)

No comments: