20.9.07

Secret Letters that May Haunt Those Affiliated with My Formative Years



I used to write a lot. Not because I thought I wrote interesting things, but because I was the only person who seemed to be listening to me, and writing was the only way I could talk and listen to myself at the same time. I wrote journals, poems, stories, and, as it turns out, 1995 was an especially good year for writing letters to people and never delivering them. I still have those letters, and I’m still not divulging their contents. Maybe they can be read at my funeral... Gosh that would be funny.

I haven’t written in a long time. Moving back to America, getting married in North Carolina, getting married in Colorado, living in a grotty apartment, trying to get good grades at Duke, survive the heat, regulate my mental illnesses, and take care of a disgruntled cheese-cutting Swedish husband with no life all within the course of 2 years completely blew up my brain.

We decided to start over in Sweden. So now I can sit in the library, look out at the cathedral, and listen to music which will hopefully re-ignite my creativity. In a random grab, I ended up with “New Orleans Funk” The original sound of Funk 1960-75. Pretty dang inspiring stuff.

I am putting my writing here because my friends and family want to know what is going on with me in this exotic land, and I am hoping that disseminating general information here will both make them happy and free up more time for sharing the juicy unpublished details with those of you who are funky enough to be in my inner circle. Everybody wins. I get to keep listening to myself, people that are really not interested in what I have to say don’t have to read it, and my homies will have the scoop.

“You’ve got your thang and I’ve got mine, let’s put our thangs together. It’s got to be fine. Make it funky, sister. “
~ Chuck Carbo in “Can I Be your Squeeze”

New Orleans funk - I recommend it... especially if you're doing the funky chacken

4 comments:

Shari said...

Hi Laura

I wanted to let you know that enjoyed hearing a little bit about you. It sounds like you have found your little piece of heaven in Sweden. I think we all need a chance to give our mental health a lift. I really believe that if your mind is feeling good so does the rest of you. Keep letting us know how you and Mikel are doing.

Blessings

Shari

jared said...

Laura, once a roommate of my wifes, and sister to my sister in law, one of the most creative fun people to be around, and who now resides in SWEDEN? It's good to see that you are going to do your best to keep people up to date and begin writing again. I hope you find the space to a place for you to let your creativity out (otherwise it might blow you up). and if you are interested I am doing a blog in place of a support letter that I used to write for YFC...and wouldn't you know it, google caught my attention. jaredcoe.blogspot.com (I have to admit it doesn't look as cool as yours does).

Our Story said...

Brilliant, brilliant! I must say I am thrilled that you will be spending some time to publish a little bit of your life for us to share. I have been missing you very much and wasn't quite sure what to do about it because you felt so far away, but your blog brought a smile to my face and made you feel just a little bit nearer! Also, I have always enjoyed reading (though uninvited sometimes) your thoughts and experiences so needless to say, I am thrilled.
I love you and Mikael muchly!

Christy Lou

micaela said...

is there any way for me to properly convey how much reading your words again feels like a breath of fresh ocean air? I love you, Laura! And it is so wonderful that you've found a way to share your thoughts, your voice, your spark with the rest of us.

I've been missing you so much, this is just the ticket. I'll be visiting your new blogosphere home very regularly.

Much love & blessings to you and the Swede w/ the sexy legs!