3.10.07

Culturally Shocked en Route to Tahini

Culture shock is something that can creep up on a foreigner in unexpected situations. I guesss that's what makes it so shocking. For example, I was looking for tahini at the grocery store, and not really knowing what it was, I was stalled at the dairy section thinking it might be hiding in there. When I turned around there was a store employee set up with a little table to give people samples. Not samples of miniquiches or microwave shrimp; sports bars or bean dip. Salad. He was giving out samples of Salad. Green lettuce with cherry tomato and honeydew melon sprinkled with a herb spice. It was quite nice. I didn't think about how strange it was to give lettuce samples until after I got home, so it is a good thing I returned the favor to the store employee. He asked me how it was and I said it tasted funny because I had just brushed my teeth. From the look on his face, I don't think Swedes are used to strangers talking to them about their oral hygiene.

No comments: