16.11.07

My new panacea

When we lived in Durham the only thing we had to cook food in was a wok. We made everything in that wok. Here is a picture of Mikael using the wok to make marmalade.


Here in Västerås, we have all of Mikael’s kitchen gadget collection, complete with egg cups and an electronic devise that does perfect hardboiled eggs, a fondue set, a glögg set, various mixers and blenders, a mashed potato press and those little tiny forks you can use to pick up olives with. If we only had money we could buy some food with which to accessorize all of these wonderful gadgets. If we only had money, we could get a bigger place to live where we would have room to use the gadgets to make food with which to accessorize them.

The point of all this being that we have a food processor.

Because beans are cheap and I like Middle Eastern food, I decided to use it to try and make my own hummus. I eat it so much now that I smell of garlic and seem to be developing garbanzo shaped bumps on my arms and legs. It is good stuff. I want to therefore use this blog to share the joy of homemade hummus in easy step-by-step instructions with pictures. It might just change your life the way it has mine. The magical property of hummus is that you can dip almost any kind of fresh vegetable in it and it suddenly becomes addictively delicious, but also filling, allowing one to thrive on fresh vegetables instead of nibble, starve and be grumpy. My favorite is to spread a bunch in a tortilla and cram it full of veggies and olives for a wonderful wrap of goodness. Since I started consuming homemade hummus, I have lost weight, gotten friends, beat the 3rd level in Tiger Woods Golf PS2, decreased my medication for mental illness, improved my Swedish, taken amazing frozen berry pictures, need less sleep, and have gotten 734 hits on my blog. If I had a mirror and could see my legs, I am sure I would see I have less cellulite. My prayers are more effective, my husband more affectionate, and I just know I will win the trip to the Caribbean that was advertised on the back of the bread package.

I will now share my secret recipe with you, my dear readers, in anticipation of the Thanksgiving season which I am so happy to not have to celebrate.

We will start tonight by putting 200 grams of dried garbanzo beans (1 1/4 cup) in a bowl. Cover them with a bunch of water and let them soak all night.



...To be continued...

No comments: